Sunday 2 January 2011

Bishop Michael Evans

Bishop Michael Evans of East Anglia has been having treatment for prostate cancer for the last five or more years. During that time he has carried on heriocally with a full diary. He has just told all those in East Anglia diocese that he now probably has only weeks to live and that he is as prepared for that as he can be, accepting it with faith as a gift of God's grace.

In a letter to the Diocese, Bishop Michael said: "In the last few weeks, the cancer has rather quickly taken control. My oncology and palliative care consultants informed me openly and honestly just before Christmas that I now probably have only weeks to live, and I am prepared for that as I can be, accepting it with faith as a gift of God's grace."

"Rather than resign, I would like to continue among you as your bishop and the father of our diocesan family until this stage of my life ends. I do not know how long that will be. I am most grateful for the ways you have cared for and so prayerfully supported me in recent years. You remain very much in my thoughts and care. As I am sure you understand, I am able to do very little, and will need to rely on others. Please can I ask you to limit any expressions of care to prayer for now, rather than anything else to which I cannot respond."

"As I live now under the shadow of death, my prayer is very much that of St. Paul that I may know something of the power of Christ's resurrection and a share in his sufferings, trusting that the Lord is with me. I pray that even now, I can joyfully witness something of the good news we are all called to proclaim." Read full letter here.

Please keep Bishop Michael, his diocese and his family in your prayers at this very difficult time.

1 comment:

  1. All our prayers, Bishop Michael - you are a very brave and wonderful man. Thank you for your ministry. Our prayers remain with you forever.

    ReplyDelete